LIFEGROUP MEETING GUIDE
GRACE THAT SUSTAINS NO MATTER WHAT
GRACE FREELY GIVEN! Series – Part 4 of 8
Mike Prah – Week of April 28, 2019
Life is described as a race and in order to get to the end of a race we need endurance. It is important to rely on God for the endurance necessary to successfully finish the races in life. How can we be sure that we are going to finish? We have confidence because of God’s sustaining grace. God doesn’t just want to save us; He wants to sustain us. Regardless of what we go through, we can count on God’s sustaining grace to be there no matter what happens.
A. OPEN YOUR SESSION WITH PRAYER.
B. ICE BREAKER:
Take some time to share what’s going on in your life, testimonies and upcoming events. Recognize birthdays, anniversaries or special occasions of your group members
C. BIBLE DISCUSSION: PICK A FEW POINTS FROM EACH SECTION TO DISCUSS
SECTION 1: REVIEWING SERMON MESSAGE
(a). What fresh insight did you learn from the sermon?
(b). What Bible verse cited in the message stands out to you the most? Why?
SECTION 2: PERSONALIZING SERMON MESSAGE
(a). What did you hear that encouraged or reassured you?
(b). How did the message increase your love for God or Jesus Christ?
SECTION 3: ENCOURAGING APPLICATION OF THE SERMON
(a). If we diligently apply the message, what effect would it have on your personal lives and your walk with Christ?
SECTION 4: DIGGING DEEPER
1. GOD’S SUSTAINING GRACE HELPS ME KEEP STANDING WHEN I’M TEMPTED
“For we … have a High Priest … who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet He did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” Hebrews 4:15-16 (NIV)
– From Hebrews 4:15-16, Christ was tempted just as we are and yet He did not sin. How can you apply this truth to your life in your season of temptation?
– What can we expect when we approach God’s throne of grace?
“Watch out for attacks from Satan, your great enemy. He prowls around like a hungry, roaring lion, looking for some victim to tear apart. Stand firm when he attacks. Trust the Lord” 1 Peter 5:8 (LB)
– From 1 Peter 5:8, who is the lion referred to? What is his goal? How can we stand firm when Satan attacks us?
“The temptations that you have are the same ones that all people have. But you can trust God. He will not let you be tempted more than you can stand. When you are tempted, God will also give you a way to escape. Then you will be able to stand it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13 (ICB)
– What are some common temptations we all face in our day-to-day lives?
– According to 1 Corinthians 10:13 how will God provide for us when we are faced with temptation? What should we do in order to tap into God’s sustaining grace?
2. GOD’S SUSTAINING GRACE HELPS ME KEEP STANDING WHEN I’M TESTED & TIRED
“It is God who makes us stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set His seal of ownership on us, and put His Spirit in our hearts” 2 Corinthians 1:21-22 (NIV)
– In 2 Corinthians 1:21–22, what has God placed in our hearts in order that we may have grace?
– What difference should this truth make in our lives when we feel tested or tired?
“For God is at work within you, giving you the will and the power to achieve His purpose.” Philippians 2:13 (Ph)
– Who does the Bible say works in us in Philippians 2:13? For what 2 reasons is He at work in us?
– What are some of the practical ways we can rely on God to help us get through our difficulties?
3. IT HELPS ME KEEP STANDING WHEN I’M TROUBLED
“Don’t worry, because I am with you. Don’t be afraid, because I am your God. I will make you strong and will help you: I will support you with My right hand that saves you.” Isaiah 41:10 (NCV)
– According to Isaiah 41:10, where is God when we go through troubles?
– Why does God tell us not to be worried or afraid when we face troubles?
– What comfort does God’s promises from this verse offer us when we are feeling troubled?
“God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble.” Psalm 46:1 (NLT)
– From David’s prayer in Psalm 46:1, what is God prepared to do in times of trouble?
– God wants nothing more than for us to wholly rely upon Him. Times of trouble tend to spur us to rely on Him. What steps can we take to surrender our troubles to God?
– How can prayer help us see God’s power in our lives?
II. HOW TO RECEIVE GOD’S SUSTAINING GRACE
1. CALL OUT FOR GOD’S HELP
“God gives grace to the humble. So give yourselves completely to God … Draw close to God, and God will draw close to you.” James 4:6-8 (NCV/NLT)
– From James 4:6–8 describe the relationship that works between God and people who are troubled.
– Discuss what each phrase of this scripture would look like in your everyday life.
2. FILL YOUR MIND WITH GOD’S WORD
“I am completely discouraged … revive me by Your Word.” Psalm 119:25 (NLT)
– In Psalm 119:25, what should we seek after when we are troubled or discouraged?
– How can the Bible meet our needs when we are tempted, tested or troubled?
3. HOLD ON TO GOD’S PROMISES
“He [God] gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired … but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:29-31 (NIV)
“So we do not look at what we can see right now, the troubles all around us, but we look forward to the joys in heaven which we have not yet seen. The troubles will soon be over, but the joys to come will last forever.” 2 Corinthians 4:18 (LB)
– What advice does Isaiah 40:29–31 and 2 Corinthians 4:18 offer us as we hold on to God’s promises?
D. PRAYER TIME – PRAYER POINTS
– Pray for each LifeGroup member to respond positively to this message and follow-through in the application.
– Ask for prayer requests and pray for the individual needs of your group.
– Closing Prayer
THANKS FOR COMING! INVITE FRIENDS & COME BACK NEXT WEEK! PLEASE REACH OUT TO ANYONE WHO DID NOT MAKE IT TO YOUR MEETING. GOD BLESS YOU!