LIFEGROUP MEETING GUIDE
HOW TO LIVE FREE – LIBERATING GRACE
GRACE FREELY GIVEN! Series – Part 2 of 8
Mike Prah – Week of April 7, 2019
“Freedom is what we have—Christ has set us FREE! Stand, then, as FREE people, and do not allow yourselves to become slaves again” Galatians 5:1 (GN)
America was founded on the principle of freedom by evangelical pilgrims who were escaping religious persecution. For that reason, the young nation’s leaders recognized the freedom to worship as paramount among mankind’s inalienable rights. In this lesson, we’ll examine a much deeper freedom—the spiritual freedom that only comes from right relationship with Jesus Christ.
A. OPEN YOUR SESSION WITH PRAYER.
B. ICE BREAKER:
Take some time to share what’s going on in your life, testimonies and/or upcoming events. Recognize birthdays, anniversaries or special occasions of your group members
C. BIBLE DISCUSSION: PICK THE POINTS YOU WANT TO DISCUSS.
SECTION 1: REVIEWING SERMON MESSAGE
(a). What fresh insight did you learn from the sermon?
(b). What character or attributes of God were stated in or implied by the message?
(c). What Bible verse cited in the message stands out to you the most? Why?
SECTION 2: PERSONALIZING SERMON MESSAGE
(a). What did you hear that encouraged or reassured you?
(b). How did the message increase your appreciation for God or Jesus Christ?
(c). Who can share the positive results of obeying the message or the painful consequences of disregarding its truth?
SECTION 3: ENCOURAGING APPLICATION OF THE SERMON
(a). If we diligently apply the message, what effect would it have on your personal lives and your walk with Christ?
SECTION 4: DIGGING DEEPER
1. SPIRITUAL FREEDOM MEANS A CLEAR CONSCIENCE.
Have different members of your group read aloud these verses: Ephesians 1:7, Psalm 34:22, 1 Corinthians 1:8, and Colossians 1:14.
“By the death of Christ we are set FREE, that is, our sins are forgiven!” Ephesians 1:7 (GN)
“The Lord redeems His servants; NO ONE will be condemned who takes refuge in Him.” Psalm 34:22 (NIV)
“God will KEEP you … FREE from ALL blame on the great day when our Lord Jesus Christ returns.” 1 Corinthians 1:8 (NLT)
– Taken together, what do these verses say about what God has done for our sins when we have a saving relationship with Christ Jesus?
– How should this truth affect our consciences to help us live a guilt-free life?
2. SPIRITUAL FREEDOM MEANS, I HAVE PERSONAL ACCESS TO GOD.
– According to Ephesians 3:12 how do we approach God? and what do we gain?
“In Christ and through faith in Him we may approach God with FREEDOM and confidence.” Ephesians 3:12 (NIV)
– Based on Hebrews 4:16 what 4 benefits do we receive when we live closer to God’s Presence?
“Let us therefore approach the throne of grace with fullest confidence, that we may receive mercy for our failures and grace to help in the hour of need.” Hebrews 4:16 (Ph.)
– What encouragements do you have from these verses to draw closer to God?
3. SPIRITUAL FREEDOM MEANS THE POWER TO DO WHAT’S RIGHT
– Pastor Mike teaches that freedom is not the absence of limits where I can do whatever I feel like doing. Rather, spiritual freedom is the power God graciously gives us to say “yes” to the right things that are good for us and to say “no” to the things that mess up your life. What insights do you have about this teaching?
– The Bible says “people are slaves of anything that controls them.” 2 Peter 2:19 (NCV).
Pastor Mike teaches that sin is addicting. When you do it once, you want to do it again and again and pretty soon you can’t stop. It becomes a habit in your life and you don’t have the power of break the pattern of sin. From this teaching, what would you say to someone who doesn’t want to follow God because they think God will change them from the way they are used to living?
– According to Romans 6:6-7 what sets us free from the power of sin?
“Our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin. For when we died with Christ we were set FREE from the power of sin.” Romans 6:6-7 (NLT)
– Once we are free from sin, we have the power to say “no” as well as “yes.” How do these choices give us freedom to do what is right?
4. SPIRITUAL FREEDOM IS LIVING WITH NO FEAR OF DEATH OR THE DEVIL.
– According to Hebrews 2:14-15 and Colossians 1:13, how do you become free from the fear of death and the fear of evil?
“Jesus became flesh and blood by being born in human form. For only as a human being could He die, and only by dying could He break the power of the devil… Only in this way could He set us FREE from living our entire lives as slaves to the fear of dying.” Hebrews 2:14-15 (NLT)
“God has FREED us from the power of darkness, and He brought us into the kingdom of His dear Son.” Colossians 1:13 (NCV)
– In what ways do these scriptures encourage you to feel protected from the devil and death?
HOW TO LIVE FREE
1. ALWAYS SUBMIT TO GOD’S SPIRIT
– Based on 2 Corinthians 3:17 who do we need to draw closer to in order to have freedom?
“Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is FREEDOM.” 2 Corinthians 3:17 (NIV)
– What do we need to do in order to have increased dependence on God’s Spirit and power in our daily lives?
2. I MUST BE DEVOTED ALWAYS TO TRUSTING & LIVING GOD’S WORD
– According to Psalm 119:45, how do we walk in freedom?
“I will walk in FREEDOM, for I have devoted myself to your commandments” Psalm 119:45 (NLT)
3. I MUST USE MY FREEDOM ALWAYS TO SERVE OTHERS.
– What shall we do with our freedom, as explained in Galatians 5:13? Discuss ways to do this in your everyday life.
“You were called to be FREE. But do not use your freedom to indulge your sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.” Galatians 5:13 (NIV)
D. PRAYER TIME – PRAYER POINTS
– Pray for each LifeGroup member to respond positively to this message and to follow-through in application.
– Ask for prayer requests and pray for the individual needs of your group.
– Closing Prayer
THANKS FOR COMING! INVITE FRIENDS & COME BACK NEXT WEEK! PLEASE REACH OUT TO ANYONE WHO DID NOT MAKE IT TO YOUR MEETING. GOD BLESS YOU!