LIFEGROUP MEETING GUIDE
LIVING BY GOD’S ANOINTING
GOD IS GOOD, NO MATTER WHAT! Series
Pastor Mike Prah – Week of July 1, 2018
“You anoint my head with oil.” Psalm 23:5b
In Ephesians 2:10 God made each of us for a purpose by “creating us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago.” But we need God’s power to carry out His purposes in our lives, and that power is called God’s anointing. The term “anointing” is used in Bible as a symbol of approval, presence, blessing, power, comfort, healing, joy, favor, prosperity, and authority. Anointing by God happens today when the Holy Spirit gives us powers that we normally don’t have so we can carry out the work God has planned for each of us. In this discussion, we will discover the facts about God’s anointing and how we can tap in on it to fulfill God’s purposes for our lives. Please select a few of the following questions from each section to discuss during your LifeGroup meeting. God bless you!
1. OPEN YOUR SESSION WITH PRAYER.
2. ICE BREAKER:
Take some time to share what’s going on in your life, testimonies and/or upcoming events. Recognize birthdays and anniversaries.
3. BIBLE DISCUSSION: PICK THE POINTS YOU WANT TO DISCUSS.
SECTION 1: REVIEWING SERMON MESSAGE
(a). What fresh insight did you learn from the sermon?
(b). What character or attributes of God were stated in or implied by the message?
(c). What Bible verse cited in the message stands out to you the most? Why?
SECTION 2: PERSONALIZING SERMON MESSAGE
(a). What did you hear that encouraged or reassured you?
(b). How did the message increase your appreciation for God or Jesus Christ?
(c). Who can share the positive results of obeying the message or the painful consequences of disregarding its truth?
SECTION 3: ENCOURAGING APPLICATION OF THE SERMON
(a). If we diligently apply the message, what effect would it have on your personal lives and your walk with Christ?
SECTION 4: DIGGING DEEPER
(a). “God will make this happen, for He who calls you is faithful” 1 Thessalonians 5:24 (NIV)
– To be anointed by God is to have God give you insights, abilities, and stamina that you would not normally have to do a job that God has called you to do. Share an experience where God anointed you to complete a job that otherwise you know you couldn’t accomplish by your own power.
(b). “Out of His glorious, unlimited resources God will give you mighty inner strengthening through His Holy Spirit.” Ephesians 3:16 (LB)
– According to Ephesians 3:16, as a believer what can we ask God for and believe for Him to supply us when we are dealing with a difficult task and feel overwhelmed because of our limited resources and lack of strength?
– Tell of a time when you felt overwhelmed because of your limited resources and lack of strength, but prayed to God for strength and performed successfully.
(c). “With God’s power working in us, God can do much, much more than anything we can ask or imagine.” Ephesians 3:20 (NCV)
– We sometimes receive an unexpected outcome that is beyond our power and imagination for something we really wished to accomplish. Why do you think God makes possible what seems to be impossible?
(d). Jesus: “What is impossible for people is possible with God.” Luke 18:27 (NLT)
– In what ways does Jesus’s words in Luke 18:27 encourage you in your time of difficulty?
(e). “The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, and He’s anointed me to bring good news to the suffering and afflicted. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted, to announce liberty to captives, and to open the eyes of the blind. Isaiah 61:1 (TLB)
– This passage was part of Jesus’ first public speech in the synagogue of his boyhood home, Nazareth (Luke 4:18). Can you think of any miracles from Jesus’s ministry that fulfill this passage?
(f). Pastor Mike shared 5 actions steps we can take to receive God’s anointing. God anoints & blesses people who: (1) Accepts God’s call (2) Put God first in every area of their life (3) Are devoted to a righteous lifestyle (4) Are generous (5) Live in the light of eternity, not just here and now.
– Are you willing to commit to taking a step forward in any of them? All of them? Please share with the group how you to plan to apply these action steps in your life.
– The Bible says, “According to your faith, it shall be done unto you” Share with your group by faith, how you expect God’s anointing to bless you as you obey his teachings.
4. PRAYER TIME – PRAYER POINTS
– Pray for each LifeGroup member to respond positively to this message and to follow-through in application.
– Ask for prayer requests and pray for the individual needs of your group.
– Closing Prayer
PLEASE REACH OUT TO ANYONE WHO DID NOT MAKE IT TO YOUR MEETING. THANKS FOR COMING! INVITE FRIENDS & COME BACK NEXT WEEK! GOD BLESS YOU!
LIVING BY GOD’S ANOINTING
GOD IS GOOD, NO MATTER WHAT! Series
Pastor Mike Prah – July 1, 2018
“You anoint my head with oil” Psalm 23:5
I. WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE ANOINTED?
o ANOINTED BY GOD: (Internal)
When God’s Holy Spirit gives you insight, ability, stamina, authority or protection that you don’t normally have in order to do a job that He has chosen you to do!
o ANOINTED BY PEOPLE: (External)
When someone prayerfully applies some oil to your skin as an outward sign of what God is doing inside you.
(In the Bible, oil is often used as a symbol of God’s approval, presence, blessing, power, comfort, healing, joy, favor, prosperity, and authority.)
“God has made us what we are. In Christ Jesus, God made us to do good works, which God planned in advance for us to live our lives doing.” Ephesians 2:10 (NCV)
II. FACTS ABOUT GOD’S ANOINTING
1. WHEN GOD APPOINTS ME, HE ANOINTS ME!
“God will make this happen, for He who calls you is faithful” 1 Thessalonians 5:24 (NIV)
2. GOD’S ANOINTING MAKES ME A BETTER PERSON!
“Samuel took olive oil and poured it on Saul’s head and said, “God has appointed you to lead His people …Then God’s Spirit will rush upon you with power. You’ll prophesy with these prophets, and you will be changed into a different man. After this happens, do whatever you find to do, because God will help you.” 1 Samuel 10:1,6-7 (NCV)
3. GOD’S ANOINTING MAKES DIFFICULT ASSIGNMENTS EASIER
“Out of His glorious, unlimited resources God will give you mighty inner strengthening through His Holy Spirit.” Ephesians 3:16 (LB)
“I can do everything God asks me to do with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power.” Philippians 4:13 (LB)
4. GOD’S ANOINTING MAKES THE IMPOSSIBLE POSSIBLE!
Jesus: “What is impossible for people is possible with God.” Luke 18:27 (NLT)
“With God’s power working in us, God can do much, much more than anything we can ask or imagine.” Ephesians 3:20 (NCV)
5. GOD ANOINTS MY LIFE TO BLESS OTHERS
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, and He’s anointed me to bring good news to the suffering and afflicted. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted, to announce liberty to captives, and to open the eyes of the blind. He has sent me to tell those who mourn that the time of God’s favor to them has come … To tell them that God will give beauty for ashes; joy instead of mourning; and praise instead of heaviness.” Isaiah 61:1-3 (TLB)
III. HOW DO I RECEIVE GOD’S ANOINTING?
1. GOD ANOINTS & BLESSES PEOPLE WHO ACCEPT GOD’S CALL
“Because the Lord was with Joseph, he was greatly blessed… so that everything he did succeeded.” Genesis 39:2 (NLT+TLB)
2. GOD ANOINTS & BLESSES PEOPLE WHO PUT HIM GOD FIRST IN EVERY AREA
“More than anything else, put God’s work first and do what He wants. Then the other things will be yours as well.” Matthew 6:33 (CEV)
3. GOD ANOINTS & BLESSES PEOPLE WHO ARE DEVOTED TO A RIGHTEOUS LIFESTYLE
“The Lord treat us with favor and honor, never denying any good thing to those who live right” Psalm 84:11 (NIV/CEV)
4. GOD ANOINTS AND BLESSES PEOPLE WHO ARE GENEROUS
“A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.” Proverbs 11:25 (NIV)
5. GOD ANOINTS & BLESSES PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN THE LIGHT OF ETERNITY, NOT JUST HERE & NOW
“Don’t store up treasures here on earth where they can erode away or may be stolen. Store them in heaven where they will never lose their value and are safe from thieves. If your profits are in heaven, your heart will be there too.” Matthew 6:19-21 (LB)
“The disciples went out, telling everyone they met to repent of their sins and turn to God. And they cast out many demons and healed many sick people, anointing them with olive oil.” Mark 6:12-13 (NLT)
“The anointing you received from Christ lives in you.” 1 John 2:27 (GW)