LIFEGROUP MEETING GUIDE
HOW GOD HEALS OUR BROKENNESS
GRACE FREELY GIVEN! Series – Part 5 of 8
Mike Prah – Week of May 5, 2019
“He [God] heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” Psalm 147:3 (NIV)
Nobody sails through life. We all have problems, hurts, and emotional scars. The good news is: God’s healing grace can heal the hidden wounds of our life. How Does God Heal A Broken Heart? By Changing Our Minds. Romans 12:2 (NLT), says, “Let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.” The way we think determines the way we act. God can change our mind and help us not only see him in a new light but see ourselves in a new light as well. In this lesson, we will discuss 4 truths that God says about us because of His grace. This could be life changing for us if we will understand these truths but more importantly begin to feel them and act on them. When we do, we’ll be free from some of those scars and hidden wounds that have been holding us up in life.
A. OPEN YOUR SESSION WITH PRAYER.
B. ICE BREAKER:
Take some time to share what’s going on in your life, testimonies and upcoming events. Recognize birthdays, anniversaries or special occasions of your group members
C. BIBLE DISCUSSION: PICK A FEW POINTS FROM EACH SECTION TO DISCUSS.
SECTION 1: REVIEWING SERMON MESSAGE
(a). What fresh insight did you learn from the sermon?
(b). What Bible verse cited in the message stands out to you the most? Why?
SECTION 2: PERSONALIZING SERMON MESSAGE
(a). What did you hear that encouraged or reassured you?
(b). How did the message increase your love for God or Jesus Christ?
SECTION 3: ENCOURAGING APPLICATION OF THE SERMON
(a). If we diligently apply the message, what effect would it have on your personal lives and your walk with Christ?
SECTION 4: DIGGING DEEPER
HOW GOD SEES ME BECAUSE OF HIS GRACE
1. GOD SAYS, I AM ACCEPTABLE
“Therefore, accept each other just as CHRIST HAS ACCEPTED YOU so that God will be given glory.’ Romans 15:7 (NLT)
– According to Romans 15:7, who has accepted us?
– Why is it important for us to know that Christ accepts us?
– Discuss ways in which we try to gain acceptance from others.
“You have been CHOSEN BY GOD HIMSELF … you are God’s very own” 1 Peter 2:9 (LB)
– Who has chosen us, according to 1 Peter 2:9?
– Think back to childhood days when kids were chosen to be on a team. What happens to their self-esteem when a child is chosen first? What if they we chosen last?
– Since God has chosen us, how should we view the rejection we have experienced from people in the past?
“Even if my mother and father forsake me, the LORD WILL RECEIVE ME.” Psalm 27:10 (NIV)
– Why is it so important for us to gain the approval and acceptance of our parents?
– If those close to us do not approve of us or accept us, is it their problem or ours?
– What difference can it make to us knowing that God receives us even if our parents don’t?
What truths have you picked up from point #1 to encourage your spiritual growth?
2. GOD SAYS, I AM VALUABLE
“YOU BELONG TO GOD, my dear children. You have already won a victory … because the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world”. I John 4:4 (NLT)
– According to 1 John 4:4 who do we belong to? who are we? and what do we have?
– God created everyone but everyone does not belong to God. What choice must we make in order to belong to God?
“You have been bought and paid for by Christ, so you belong to Him—be free now from all these earthly prides and fears.” 1 Corinthians 7:23 (LB)
– What does 1 Corinthians 7:23 say about our being purchased?
– Pastor Mike mentioned that the value of something is determined by two factors: 1). The person who owns it; and 2). What somebody is willing to pay for it. Explain.
– God has defined our value by giving His only Son, Jesus Christ, to die for us. How does understanding our value to God change the way we view others and ourselves?
God says, “You are precious to me. You are honored, and I love you.'” Isaiah 43:4 (NLT)
– According to Isaiah 43:4, how does God view us?
– How do we feel about those who are precious to us? How do we respond to those who treat us as precious to them? Knowing that God considers us precious, how should we respond to Him?
3. GOD SAYS, I AM LOVABLE
“The mountains and hills may crumble but My love for you will never end; so says the Lord who loves you.” Isaiah 54:10 (GN)
– What does Isaiah 54:10 say about God’s love for us?
– Describe the feelings associated with being rejected by friend or souse.
– As human beings, our love for one another is inconsistent. How is God’s love different?
– Discuss examples of how we attach conditions to our love for others.
– What does it mean to be loved by God unconditionally?
4. GOD SAYS, I AM CAPABLE
“For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13 (NLT)
– According to Philippians 4:13, what are we capable of with Christ’s strength?
– What tends to make us feel incapable or insecure?
– What steps can we take in order to experience the security that only God can provide?
“Once you were less than nothing; now you are God’s own. Once you knew very little of God’s kindness; now your very lives have been changed by it.!” 2 Peter 2:10 (LB)
– 1 Peter 2:10 says we were once nothing, but now what has changed for us who are in Christ?
– What happens when we forget that we belong to God?
“May the God of hope fill you with joy … that by the power of the Holy Spirit, your whole life and outlook may be radiant with hope.” Romans 15:13 (Ph)
– What does Romans 15:13 say about God and how He can change our outlook?
– Many times we feel incapable because of our outlook on life. Discuss examples of things that can change our outlook for the better?
– What steps can we take to ensure that our view of the future remains positive and filled with hope?
D. PRAYER TIME – PRAYER POINTS
– Pray for each LifeGroup member to respond positively to this message and follow-through in the application.
– Ask for prayer requests and pray for the individual needs of your group.
– Closing Prayer
THANKS FOR COMING! INVITE FRIENDS & COME BACK NEXT WEEK! PLEASE REACH OUT TO ANYONE WHO DID NOT MAKE IT TO YOUR MEETING. GOD BLESS YOU!